free page hit counter

Sunday, May 14, 2006

Moutard can wait

My eyes catch a glimpse of the clock as it quietly passes 7:30PM. My friends have already started their monthly mussel and beer night at Smokeless Joe's, and I'm at least an hour and half away from the festivities. But I'm in no hurry. Tonight I'm having dinner with my aunt in Scarborough, and I listen intently as she recounts her life story to me while I finish my third bowl of her delicious wintermelon soup. It's a very relaxing evening and a welcome change from the hectic pace of things these past months. In the dimly lit dining room, I feel as if I'm getting to know her for the first time in my life. There is something unspoken about our conversation that suggests an easiness which I don't often feel with my elders--a symptom of being Chinese, I suppose.

I admire my aunt tremendously. She is one of the most kind-hearted, supportive, and caring person I know. But above all, her faith in God is so strong that she can see His work in even the smallest, seemingly insignificant thing. Listening to her recount the many tough choices she has had to make in her life to serve God before all else, including forgoing marriage, only makes me admire her even more. "God always provides," she tells me; and I believe her.


David

P.S.
I passed my re-class exam on Thursday, and I'm officially a PhD student now!

P.P.S.
I really really miss my Mom.

3 Comments:

At Tuesday, May 16, 2006 4:40:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow. officially a PhD student eh... congrats!!! so...how old are you again? and remind me how many years you finished high school in too? ;) haha. i just found out today i 'offically' get my BSc. i passed my rotations! yay! hahaha. nooooo more school for me thank you!

 
At Sunday, May 21, 2006 9:36:00 PM, Blogger gear-girl said...

God always provides. Yes, He does. I am starting to learn this truth as well :) I find deep admiration for people like your aunt and only hope that I can become a woman after God's own heart as well!

 
At Sunday, May 21, 2006 11:31:00 PM, Blogger Reformed Jerk said...

Thanks erin :)

Good seeing you this weekend ames! Work hard in Seattle.

Dave

 

Post a Comment

<< Home