free page hit counter

Monday, April 24, 2006

Comeuppance

I just indulged in a rather guilty pleasure, and I must confess I feel a bit terrible for the giddiness I'm feeling at this moment. Don't worry, it was nothing raunchy or otherwise untoward--just a little something that made me smile, even though a really mature person probably wouldn't have.

My neighbour is a music major, a lover of sound, and apparently a woman full of laughter--loud, high-pitched, constant laughter. Don't get me wrong; I don't dislike her as a person. Every time we've met, she and I have been nothing but cordial with each other, and there is nothing to suggest that she is in any way unpleasant. But I've not been a great fan of her flute playing, music blaring, or irksome laughing at odd hours of the night.

For the most part, I've come to except this arrangement, save for the one night when I had to call her to cut short her game of who-can-laugh-the-loudest with three of her closest friends at 1:30 in the morning. I've always been too afraid to start anything unpleasant with the person living less than four feet away from me by being too confrontational. But secretly, I've always hoped that someone else would tell her to be a bit more considerate of her neighbours on my behalf one day.

It turns out today is that day! Late this evening, I heard a loud knocking on my neighbour's door. Being both curious and timid by nature, I shuffled quietly to my own door and looked out through the peephole to see what all the commotion was about. I soon discovered that it was the don-on-duty wanting a word with her about her noise problem. I've always thought that maybe I'm the one who has been unreasonable and that no one else had a problem with the noise. But I was vindicated when I saw the look of absolute disdain on the don's face as she struggled to be heard over the music with a good five minutes of door banging.

I must admit that it was quite satisfying to witness (from the safety of my own room) the don's giving my neighour a little comeuppance for creating such a ruckus during quiet hours. Am I childish and immature for this episode of schadenfreud? Absolutely. Am I unreasonable for thinking that my neighbour is too loud? Apparently not :-) I love the sweet smell of vindication wafting in the air tonight.



Your Favorite Jerk

1 Comments:

At Wednesday, April 26, 2006 12:18:00 PM, Blogger gear-girl said...

it'll be so nice when you get your own place... are you counting down the days??

 

Post a Comment

<< Home