free page hit counter

Saturday, April 15, 2006

Chalk full of flavor

I finally had a chance to break open the 99% Lindt dark chococlate I got last week, and now I'm ready to give you my uneducated and uncultured review of this bitter confection.

Before I cracked the seal on this chocolate bar, I carefully read the conseil de dégustation and was fully prepared for--nay, eagerly anticipating--a strong hit of bitterness followed by an explosion of cocoa flavor before being lavished by a fruity bouquette to round off this gastronomical journey of indescribable delights. My conclusion after eating two pieces of the chocolate is that I want whatever the Lindt marketing guys were smoking when they wrote that guide. Maybe I just have a very unsophisticated palette, but the only real thing I could taste from this chalk-like chocolate was bitterness.

Actually I just had another piece and this time I could really feel the cocoa kick near the end. It seems the trick is to let the melted chocolate linger a bit in your mouth before swallowing it all; it's like the sugary plum treat you get after you down a bowl of Chinese medicine. So maybe it's not so much a case of too much of a good thing being bad, but just that it takes time to learn to appreciate good things. It's still bitter as heck though. Seriously.


Your Favorite Jerk

1 Comments:

At Friday, April 21, 2006 2:29:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

If it's bitter, then you know I'll like it!

Tomlin (too lazy to sign in, sorry)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home