free page hit counter

Sunday, June 26, 2005

Conference in Detroit: Day 1

I'm sitting in the temporary "iMac Bar" at the Detroit Marriot, taking a break from the talks at ISMB 2005. So far, this city hasn't lived up to its reputation of being a dump; but the day is still young and the sun is still up--check in for tomorrow's installment to see if I have spoken too soon.

The ride over was uneventful--and very quick, thanks to my supervisor's 140km/h driving. In fact, we cleared Windsor in just over 3 hours. Unfortunately, being in a van with 2 Canadians, an American, a Spaniard, and a British citizen meant that we had to spend an hour at US customs going through "immigration formalities". To make a long story short, the customs agents weren't the most friendly, but no one was subjected to full-orifice searches--great success!

Like every other conference, this one has a full complimentary beverage and snack bar. I've already overindulged, and as I type this, I'm finishing off my second can of Pepsi. I wasn't anticipating the availability of internet access before I came, but the presence of an entire wing of the hotel lined with 21" LCD iMacs has made me very selective of the talks I will choose to go to. Talks that appeared to have been must-sees when I saw the program an hour ago, have now been downgraded to optional.

The Marriot is actually right across the river from Windsor, ON and I can still get cellphone reception from the Rogers towers situated on the Canadian side :) So, if you want to keep me company during the next 3 days of mind-numbing talks, please do feel free to SMS (or mobile MSN) me! I hear they've just brought out more snacks. Toodles!


Your Favorite Jerk

4 Comments:

At Sunday, June 26, 2005 10:52:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

dude, we got spanked royally at both games today - dang it. frustration.
- okies - hope you taken mad advantage of the snack bar and drinks - lol. Asians know how to do it for free - lol. See you seen bro. - kizzle

 
At Sunday, June 26, 2005 10:53:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I pulled a Ju - SINK OR DIE - CHAT TO CHAT - I meant see you soon bro - laters - kizzle

 
At Sunday, June 26, 2005 11:39:00 PM, Blogger tiffany said...

it's true, it's true - we had a royal drubbing at both games today, but that's ok... we still have the rest of the season. hopefully it won't be 30+ degrees out for those games too, though.

so... complimentary food, eh? two words for you: ziploc baggies! just be stealthy and sneak a couple of hors d'oeuvres into your pocket at a time... :p

 
At Monday, June 27, 2005 1:54:00 AM, Blogger gear-girl said...

Erm. Detriot is not on the other side of the world - but you were right that it's in the US. He's only a couple hours away. Yeesh. Did you say UW was turning you into a *bright* student??

 

Post a Comment

<< Home