free page hit counter

Sunday, June 26, 2005

Conference in Detroit: Day 1

I'm sitting in the temporary "iMac Bar" at the Detroit Marriot, taking a break from the talks at ISMB 2005. So far, this city hasn't lived up to its reputation of being a dump; but the day is still young and the sun is still up--check in for tomorrow's installment to see if I have spoken too soon.

The ride over was uneventful--and very quick, thanks to my supervisor's 140km/h driving. In fact, we cleared Windsor in just over 3 hours. Unfortunately, being in a van with 2 Canadians, an American, a Spaniard, and a British citizen meant that we had to spend an hour at US customs going through "immigration formalities". To make a long story short, the customs agents weren't the most friendly, but no one was subjected to full-orifice searches--great success!

Like every other conference, this one has a full complimentary beverage and snack bar. I've already overindulged, and as I type this, I'm finishing off my second can of Pepsi. I wasn't anticipating the availability of internet access before I came, but the presence of an entire wing of the hotel lined with 21" LCD iMacs has made me very selective of the talks I will choose to go to. Talks that appeared to have been must-sees when I saw the program an hour ago, have now been downgraded to optional.

The Marriot is actually right across the river from Windsor, ON and I can still get cellphone reception from the Rogers towers situated on the Canadian side :) So, if you want to keep me company during the next 3 days of mind-numbing talks, please do feel free to SMS (or mobile MSN) me! I hear they've just brought out more snacks. Toodles!


Your Favorite Jerk

5 Comments:

At Sunday, June 26, 2005 10:52:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

dude, we got spanked royally at both games today - dang it. frustration.
- okies - hope you taken mad advantage of the snack bar and drinks - lol. Asians know how to do it for free - lol. See you seen bro. - kizzle

 
At Sunday, June 26, 2005 10:53:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I pulled a Ju - SINK OR DIE - CHAT TO CHAT - I meant see you soon bro - laters - kizzle

 
At Sunday, June 26, 2005 11:39:00 PM, Blogger tiffany said...

it's true, it's true - we had a royal drubbing at both games today, but that's ok... we still have the rest of the season. hopefully it won't be 30+ degrees out for those games too, though.

so... complimentary food, eh? two words for you: ziploc baggies! just be stealthy and sneak a couple of hors d'oeuvres into your pocket at a time... :p

 
At Monday, June 27, 2005 12:34:00 AM, Blogger julia said...

Sink or Die Chat to Chat?? why are those words appearing in ppl's blogs?? ;p they have become infamous indeedy yo.

you are in detroit? as in the U.S?
wow. and last night i was just chatting w/ you on msn IN Canada...

man i guess it doesn't take very long time to move across the world. you can get to the otehr side in less than one day apparently!

ok bye

 
At Monday, June 27, 2005 1:54:00 AM, Blogger Ames said...

Erm. Detriot is not on the other side of the world - but you were right that it's in the US. He's only a couple hours away. Yeesh. Did you say UW was turning you into a *bright* student??

 

Post a Comment

<< Home