free page hit counter

Sunday, June 12, 2005

Softball Diaries (Day 1)

Dear Diary,

I don't know how to begin this entry because I am new to this diary-writing thing. So, why don't I begin at the beginning and see where it takes us?

My name is Dave, and I don't really like sports--or rather, it's the sports that don't like me. Ever since I was little, my subpar hand-eye coordination has made me a comical but ineffective participant in 'Gym class', and later 'PE class'. Over time, I came to realize that sports and I had a relationship that was marred by too many irreconciliable differences. We keep in touch from time to time, but the passion has never been there, and I know it never will. Recently, we've decided to give it another go when I signed up for the softball team that my friends are on. To be honest, I don't think much will come of this, but I'm open to new things and in a sense, I'm eager to see if I can discover more about myself and see how much I've grown since I left sports some time after highschool. I'm not holding my breath, but we'll see how it goes.

This afternoon, I went to my first non-exhibition game in Scarborough. The weather was hot and humid, but not unbearably so. At 4:00pm sharp, the game started and I noticed that I was 18th in the batting order...out of 18 batters. I suppose they need the big hitters like me to bring the runners home--please just let me believe this...thank you. To quickly summarize, I got two good hits during my two at-bats, although both were in vain as our team lost in the end. But despite the agony of defeat and the annoyance of sticky, smoggy weather I had an absolute blast!

I've also been getting some tips on the whole batting thing. The swing is evidently all in the hips and arms--not the wrists, which were not designed to rotate at full speed only to stop abruptly when the bat hits the ball. If only I had known this earlier, my wrists wouldn't be killing me right now. But learning is a lifelong process, yeah? Maybe in a few weeks I can be the next Barry Bonds or Sami Sosa or some other steroid-enhanced slugger.

So, my Dear Diary, I suppose this would be a good place for me to end my first entry. I will be sure to keep you updated on my progress in the coming weeks.


Your Favorite Jerk

3 Comments:

At Monday, June 13, 2005 6:59:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

jokes - pure jokes - no worries though - we shall prevail one day and then we shall go for some steak!!!!!!
-kizzle

 
At Monday, June 13, 2005 7:55:00 PM, Blogger gear-girl said...

For someone who missed all the practices, I'd say you're doing A-OK! :P we're just glad you are finally showing up! And hey, at least you got on base eh? I didn't even get to come home. :(

 
At Wednesday, June 15, 2005 10:59:00 AM, Blogger Reformed Jerk said...

Way ahead of you on that one, Ron. Alas bunting is not allowed in this league.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home