free page hit counter

Thursday, June 02, 2005

Stop interrupting Boy George!

I am very sensitive to sounds. I notice sounds that others don't--and no, these aren't emitted by tiny leprechons telling me to burn things down. At one point, I was convinced I could tell whether a computer was running Windows or DOS based solely on the sound that its monitor made. Later I would find that this was completely untrue, but that's beside the point. The point is: I am easily affected by the sounds and noises around me.

Today, my sensitivity to sounds became alarmingly evident when I was shopping at Winners. The store's speakers were busy churning out craptacular hits of the 80s, but every five seconds someone would interrupt Boy George singing Karma Chameleon, to make some inane announcement about some unimportant call waiting for some uninterested worker bee on line 1. Now, to be absolutely clear, I don't like craptacular hits of the 80s and I most definitely do not sway to the beats of Boy George. But when I hear a song in the background my mind subconsciously includes it into my thought process, and when it gets interrupted in regular but inconsistent intervals, I find my entire thought process gets thrown for a loop and I end up with a jarring headache.

Does anyone else have this problem? Anyone?


Your Favorite Jerk

1 Comments:

At Friday, June 03, 2005 12:32:00 PM, Blogger gear-girl said...

I have this condition too! People think I'm crazy. Now you are too!

The worst is when you're sitting in someone else's car and just as you are getting used to the song being played on the radio, they go and change the station. GRR!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home