free page hit counter

Thursday, November 18, 2004

Cubicle

I wanted to write a haiku about my new cubicle, but I have difficulty counting syllables (how many syllables are in "flourescent glow"?), so I had to give up on that idea. Why don't I just tell you about my cubicle sans pseudo-Japanese poetry? My cubicle is small. It has two white desks that are in a right-angled v-formation. It has only two walls -- I'll have to work hard to earn the other two -- that are covered in some sort of puke-green felt material. To these walls are secured two oversized beige cabinets, which house myriad broken office knick-knacks.

Personally, I don't think cubicles make very good work spaces, providing neither the absolute silence of a small traditional office nor the frenzied energy of an "open-space-concept" one. If I had a choice, I would find two more walls so that I could be completely enclosed by felt fabric, then I would get another two walls and put them on top of my setup so that I could have a sound-proof felt-covered box to work in silent bliss. It's not that I'm antisocial; I like people. I just don't like to hear them when I'm working, or see them walk by, or talk to them about the weather, or explain to them for the tenth time that their dog was already dead when I found it...ummmm, scratch that last one.

BTW, If anyone has Dilbert cartoons, please send some my way. I need to stick a few of them on my cubicle to complete the experience...and all my co-workers have them so they'll probably laugh at me if I don't. Geeks.


Your Favorite Jerk

2 Comments:

At Thursday, November 18, 2004 9:17:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's a good thing this is a personal blog or else this is where the law suits... well ok, maybe offers of registration start coming in from the Association for Autistism. d~

 
At Friday, November 19, 2004 10:19:00 AM, Blogger Reformed Jerk said...

Yes, I hate the colour yellow...and watch out when I've got my hands tucked away in my pockets! =)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home