free page hit counter

Wednesday, November 03, 2004

Art

On Wednesdays evenings, the Art Gallery of Ontario (AGO) opens its doors to the unwashed masses so that the hard-working (but stingy) proletariat can get a taste of art that is usually reserved for the rich and powerful. After two hours at this cultural open-house tonight, this is my conclusion: I don't get it.

I don't get how I'm supposed to interpret an exhibit where all I see is a video of a guy humping a 2-by-4. Nor do I know how to appreciate a canvas covered with 3 coloured stripes repeated a few times (didn't we all make something of this sort at some point in elementary school?). Really, how big of a crack pipe do you have to smoke before you commision something like "Guy humps 2-by-4: A Video Commentary"? Am I the only one who isn't hopped up on goofballs here?

Jon, please explain this art thing to me.


Your Favorite Jerk

1 Comments:

At Thursday, November 04, 2004 6:23:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

WHAT?!

but talk about focusing on the... negative side of interpretive art, there must have been more than 2 pieces in the building, like the classic plagarized colorized print en masse claiming to be art (you know what i mean), so at least 3, perhaps. at least it wasn't the aa bronson exhibit. *shudder*

 

Post a Comment

<< Home