free page hit counter

Monday, September 27, 2004

The roof, the roof is on fire...maybe

It's 3:45AM and I am in bed enjoying some well deserved REM sleep, when I'm awoken by a gentle but persistent ringing. It takes me mere minutes to realize that the fire alarm has gone off and since I live on the 26th floor, I decide to waste no time getting dressed so I can get a headstart to the ground floor. But, the neighbours are smart and I open my door to find about 20 groggy grad students clogging the hall to get down the stairs.

Grad students are the most creative people when it comes to cursing. Their imaginative use of metaphores and alliterative swearing allows them to chain together four-letter words into near works of art. And having to walk down 26 flights of stairs before the sun comes up on an early Monday morning proves to be an excellent source of material for my grad student floormates to work their linguistic magic. I have never heard of so many qualifiers before the words "false alarm" before.

We arrive at the "safety zone" across from the building just in time to see the fire truck leaving the seen. Apparently, this has been another false alarm. Some pothead probably went to bed without putting out his bud...let this be a lesson to the rest of you. With 900 sleepy students on the street in their pajamas and only 6 working elevators servicing 26th floors, the rush to get back into the building is an exercise in madness. Ironically, you are more likely to be trampled rushing back into the building after the alarm than coming out of the building during the "fire". I should send this to Alanis Morrisette so she can add this to her next revision of "Ironic".

So, that's been my night. Tell me about yours.


Your Favorite Jerk

2 Comments:

At Tuesday, September 28, 2004 2:45:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

didn't this happen last week? in the end tho, it's all exercise and vocabulary building isn't it? think of it as one of those experiences that will come back to haunt you one night in the future when you dream of yourself going down the 26 flights of stairs only to go back up when you realize you've been sleepwalking. tell your mum, i bet she'd have an opinion. ;)

 
At Tuesday, September 28, 2004 7:01:00 PM, Blogger Flami said...

Ooh, sorry this had to happen to you.. all that for a false alarm! Oh well, like the other person said, it's exercise (which you apparently need, but then so do I :P) and vocab-building. (although I'd be very surprised if you used any of those words!)

My night was just fine.. had Vernon finally come and set up my new computer system. Running smoothly so far... *crosses fingers and prays*

See ya!

Leslie

 

Post a Comment

<< Home