free page hit counter

Wednesday, September 21, 2005

My iPod

I don't indulge much on the latest and greatest techno gadgets--the old black and white Nokia brickphone I carried for the past two years can attest to that. But when I got my first paycheque three years ago, I decided to splurge and bought myself an iPod. Today, a purchase such as this would be quite pedestrian since everyone and their grandmother's seeing-eye dog has one. But in early 2002, the PC version of the iPod had just recently been introduced and iTunes for Windows didn't even exist. My brandnew iPod had only 5 gigs of storage, a mechanical scrollwheel, and was probably more than twice as thick as the new iPod Nanos. But at the time I thought (and quite correctly, I might add) that I had bought the greatest mp3 player on earth.

Three years later my iPod spends most of its time sitting in my desk drawer, neglected and forgotten. Its once mirror-like back has been scruffed up beyond repair, and its once smooth acrylic face has been marred by an uncountable number of tiny scratches. But today I decided to take it out for another spin--the result perhaps of a silly exercise in pointless nostalgia, or maybe it was the result of something far more pragmatic: I had a 40 minute subway ride to the Old Mill Inn waiting for me.

I've carried this iPod with me to many places, some exotic (China) and some mundane (Richmond), but I've never been as glad as I was today that I had it with me. The talks at the retreat (all 18 of them!) were boring beyond earthly description, and half way during the second set of talks I decided to go for a walk to the nearby park, white earbuds nestled comfortably in my ears. I had a terrible night last night and I was exhausted to the core. Almost as soon as I reached the park, I collapsed under the shade of a large, welcoming tree. The music soon lulled me to sleep, and were it not for the playfulness of a small spider on my face, I probably would have slept till the mid-afternoon. I really shouldn't have neglected my little music box for so long. This could be the start of something beautiful...again.


Your Favorite Jerk

6 Comments:

At Thursday, September 22, 2005 12:53:00 PM, Blogger gear-girl said...

I think i wanna get a Nano. what do you think? I missed the ipod/mini ipod wagon. I'm thinking of getting on now :P Suggestions?

 
At Thursday, September 22, 2005 8:19:00 PM, Blogger tiffany said...

ipod? why boy an ipod when you can buy a much cheaper mp3 player from pac mall that comes with chinese-only instructions and only works for a few months before it starts to malfunction (after the warranty's run out, mind you)? grrrrr.

and on an unrelated note: it totally doesn't take 40 minutes to get from your place to old mill station - on a slow day, 25 minutes, tops. if the trip was any longer, do you think i'd really be visiting todd so much? :p

 
At Friday, September 23, 2005 4:26:00 PM, Blogger Reformed Jerk said...

Tiffy, like I said before, an iPod is overkill for Duran Duran :-p

Sorry you didn't win those iPods Ju, but maybe Ames will show you her iPod when she buys the Nano :D Sucker! hehe

 
At Saturday, September 24, 2005 5:44:00 PM, Blogger Debsty said...

i'm most impressed at how many language selections there are for the ipod...my recent favourite pastime is going to the ipod store at yorkdale and changing the display laguage of all the demo ipods to languages i've never heard of...

 
At Saturday, September 24, 2005 10:40:00 PM, Blogger Reformed Jerk said...

I did that once and chose some Nordic language...but I couldn't figure out how to change the language back to English :S Took me a lot of time to figure out though. Anyways, welcome to the blog Debbie :)

 
At Sunday, October 02, 2005 6:31:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

update your blog, man!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home