free page hit counter

Monday, August 08, 2005

Taste of the Danforth

It's funny how what one culture considers mundane, another reveres as an annual festival. In China, when you have a street full of hawkers selling food on the sidewalk, it's called...well, it's just called a street. In Toronto, this is called Taste of the Danforth, and they actually close off several city blocks for this event.

I ate so much on the Danforth yesterday that I can't possibly remember everything I tried. But I do remember this exchange I had with a little kid while waiting in line for oysters, and it went something like this:

Kid's dad: You kids want to try some of that calamari? (Points to the calamari I'm holding)
Kid: They look like worms
Me: They taste better than worms
Kid: How would you know? Have you tried worms before?
Me: Actually, yes. (This is a lie. Honest.)
Kid: EWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW (continues looking at me with absolute disgust for about 2 minutes)

At this point I wanted to say, "I think I'll go get some dog after this", but I thought better of it for the sake of my race.

Your Favorite Jerk

2 Comments:

At Monday, August 08, 2005 11:27:00 PM, Blogger tiffany said...

no, you didn't say it right then, but you still said "let's go get some dog" like a minute afterwards!

heh. if only we had your camera though - the look on that kid's face was absolutely priceless.

 
At Tuesday, August 09, 2005 2:04:00 PM, Blogger Reformed Jerk said...

It wasn't so much the look on his face, but the length of time he managed to sustain that look. Sheer, unadulterated disgust--a Kodak moment without a doubt.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home