free page hit counter

Friday, May 27, 2005

The end of a saga

Yesterday marked the end of my lukewarm relationship with George Lucas, and his Star Wars series. I still remember watching my first Star Wars movie in my parents' two-room apartment in China at the age of 6. The movie had been dubbed in Mandarin, and I suspect it had probably been censored and modified for the People's viewing pleasure. My reaction after seeing that first movie was a resounding "meh"--I was more of Smurfs and Transformers kinda kid. When the other kids got knock-off X-Wing fighter pilot helmets, I went and bought a People's Liberation Army cap--just because I thought the PLA looked cool beating down "rebels" on TV (I'm not a terrible person. I was young. I didn't know. Honest.).

In the 17 years since that first viewing, I've made an effort to see all the movies in the series. Each time, my reaction was the same--"meh", followed by a shrug--but I always hoped (perhaps, naively) that Lucas would redeem himself and dazzle me with the next one. This time it'll be different I used to lie in bed and think, this time he'll show me he cares. Alas, George never delivered, and I have only tear-soaked pillows to show for my dedication and blind loyalty to the man others call a genius. When Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith came out last week, I didn't want to go see it. I didn't want to be let down again and I couldn't stand the thought of having my heart broken once more by this callous, callous man. But I knew I had to go see it. I had invested too much in this relationship already. I went to see Star Wars last night, not to be dazzled by George Lucas--I had given up that naive dream years ago--but to get some closure from him.

As the Imperial March anthem played on the screen at the Paramount last night to signal the end of the movie, I thought "meh" and shrugged for the last time. You won't hurt me anymore, George Lucas.


Your Favorite Jerk

P.S.
WOW! Vince Vaughn and Owen Wilson will be in Wedding Crashers! The trailer was amazing. Must.See.This.Movie.When.It.Comes.Out.

2 Comments:

At Saturday, May 28, 2005 2:46:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ditto to above. Sounds like a lot of excess baggage...hmmm... :P
myl
d~

 
At Monday, May 30, 2005 2:03:00 AM, Blogger Reformed Jerk said...

Stop prying!!!!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home