free page hit counter

Tuesday, July 06, 2004

The week in review

Okay, so I haven't been posted anything in the last week. Mostly this is because I have been busy trying to find a new home for Corey. Let me tell you, it's not fun to see people come over to fondle the little guy, pop his hood, and drive the stuffing out of him. It pains me to watch Corey sit there with those sad little puppy eyes and take this sort of abuse from strangers. There have been a few offers, so let's hope I can get this done soon.

This past week has been pretty uneventful, save for a wedding I attended over the weekend. I've never been one of those people who cries at a wedding and I don't usually have gushing reviews for most of the weddings I attend. To me, a wedding should be an afterthought, rather than the crowning achievement, of a loving relationship. I mean if you spend tens of thousands of dollars on a lavish, glitzy party to kick off your new life together, how can you ever expect to top that later on in your relationship? But as I guest to a wedding, I couldn't have been happier :-D Nothing says fun like sharing steak and a dessert buffet with the bride and groom and their 500 closest friends.

Is it just me or is soccer finally starting to catch on here in North America? I watched quite a few Euro 2004 games this year and yesterday I walked by a playground where I saw a bunch of kids playing soccer. Now, that in itself is not amazing since I used to play soccer when I was a kid in elementary school and it was definitely not an indication of a thriving soccer culture. But what was noteworthy was that these kids wore soccer jerseys and had goalie gloves, and this was just an impromptu pickup game after school! What's even more amazing is that some of this kids are emulating their favorite European star players to a tee. I saw one kid score and pull his shirt over his head in celebration, and another kid go down clutching his head in dramatic agony after being kicked in the shins (just like his dramaqueen soccer heroes in Europe). I for one think the increasing popularity of wussier sports like soccer will reduce playground violence and make our culture more civilized. Kids need to learn at an early age that pretending to be hurt and crying like a baby on every perceived offense will get them far in an increasingly litigious society.


Your Favorite Jerk


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home