free page hit counter

Monday, July 12, 2004

Mediocrity for a better America

I saw a Stella Artois poster at an Indian restaurant last night that said:
"I would rather die of thirst than drink from the cup of mediocrity"

Strong words, indeed; But having drunk from the cup of mediocrity most of my life, I must say that it's really not that bad and is almost certainly better than dying of thirst. If my Toyota Land Crusier ever breaks down while I'm in the Sahara, I won't hesitate to drink Dasani from the cooler even though it's not Perrier. Besides, it's not as if though Stella Artois were a microbrewary where beer is carefully crafted to exacting standards by artisan brewmasters. These guys muct churn out tens of thousands of litres of Belgium's finest every day of the week! My friends, mediocrity keeps businesses like Ikea, the GAP, Blockbusters and Walmart afloat. If we all chose death over mediocrity, our economy and our very civilization will come to an end, and the terrorists will already have won. So, Gentle Readers, if you treasure freedom and love democracy, you must embrace mediocrity.

Your Favorite Jerk

1 Comments:

At Monday, July 12, 2004 11:59:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hate to say it, but if it wasn't for mediocrity, we'd have a world full of doctors, lawyers, rocketscientists and think-tanks. Thanks to mediocrity, we get other lines of work in the "medical profession", our garbage picked up, etc. Mediocrity keeps us employed and the rest of the economy running.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home