free page hit counter

Sunday, October 30, 2005

Sleepless in Toronto

Sleep usually comes very easily for me. You can chalk it up to my laziness or my uncanny ability to zone out, but for whatever reason the Sandman always seems to bring a generous helping of sleep-inducing fairy dust with him every night. Given the circumstances last night, however, even a metric ton of fairy dust would not have put me to sleep.

There has been an annoying knocking sound coming from my ceiling for almost a week now. Up until last night, I've been doing my best to ignore it, but last night whatever was causing the knocking kicked into high-gear. The trouble with the sort of knocking I'm talking about is its irregularity. It's not difficult to tune out a well-established, steady, metronome-like sound because the brain is accustomed to labelling these as white noise for subsequent filtering. But the knocking that tormented me last night had an irregular, highly aggrevating character which made it impossible to ignore. That in conjunction with the effects of the handful of chocolate-covered coffee beans I had eaten around midnight made the normally trivial task of falling asleep niegh impossible. As a result, I woke up with a rather severe headache--and the nagging belief that somewhere out there the coffe-bean and incessant knocking combination is used as a torture mechanism to slowly destroy the will of its victim to live.

It is with the absolute most sincerity that I say this: I love and appreciate the nap more than any other afternoon passtime--especially with the right pillow :) Good night, all.


Your Favorite Jerk

P.S.
In case you cared to know, the knocking sound was apparently caused by a broken belt from a machine in the engineering room upstairs. Thankfully, it appears to have been fixed, so I should be able to get a nice 8 hours tonight.

2 Comments:

At Sunday, October 30, 2005 5:25:00 PM, Blogger tiffany said...

don't forget about that mountain dew energy drink you foolishly had on friday night too... hehehe

memory foam? :)

 
At Tuesday, November 01, 2005 9:24:00 PM, Blogger gear-girl said...

As usual, ju's always thinking dirty.

insomnia has become my friend. I put up with 5 hours of so-so sleep nowadays... oh how i wish i lived closer to home so i could take naps. :P that's what the weekends are for i guess.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home