free page hit counter

Friday, May 13, 2005

Get off or stay on?

SpeedI can't believe it's been more than 10 years since Speed first came out. It was grade 6 or 7 and all the kids were giving it great reviews--even though we couldn't technically watch it because it was rated 'R' for violence and coarse language. It was a genuinely good movie, and the penultimate good movie for Sandra Bullock--her last good one being 'While You Were Sleeping'--before her career tanked. I still think some of the lines in that movie are classics. Here are some I still remember (not verbatim, cuz my memory isn't that* good):

  • "No! I'm not crazy, poor people are crazy. I'm eccentric."

  • "I've already seen the airport."

  • "You're fired! Everybody's *beeping* fired!"

  • "Pop quiz hotshot, I have a hairtrigger aimed at your head. WHAT do you do? What do you do?"


Last night for some inexplicable reason my mind has been playing that one scene where they're trying to decide if they should stay on or get off the freeway. You know, the scene where Sandra Bullock is screaming "Get off or stay on?" over and over again in sheer hysteria, while Keenu Reeves just stands there and gives his patented I'm-lost-in-deep-thought-even-though-I-have-a-sub-100-IQ look. That line has been nagging me all morning now, like some muzak song I just can't get out of my head. I'll have to watch that movie again sometime to see if they stayed on or got off--I don't remember anymore. I think the movie had a happy ending, though. So, whatever they chose probably worked out in the end. Note to self: rent Speed.


Your Favorite Jerk

4 Comments:

At Sunday, May 15, 2005 2:29:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I LOVE THAT MOVIE!!!! that is my MOST FAVOURITE MOVIE EVER!!!! i can't believe u are quoting lines from that movie. That movie is what started me on Sandra Bullock! she is my favourite actress and i developed a hot cdrush on keanu cus he was so hot in tht movie.... and no sandra's carrer hasn't tanked... Miss Congeniality was great!...
BTW.. i've watched that movie soo many times that YES i do know they GOT OFF! Jack told her to get off the freeway and circle around the airport.

my fave quote from that movie besides the "WHAT do u do? WHAT do u do" line is this":

"relationships never work out when they are based on sex"

hahahah or somethign like that....

 
At Monday, May 16, 2005 2:52:00 PM, Blogger John said...

Are... are you for real? Is she for real? Is she serious? OMGWTFBBQ

 
At Monday, May 16, 2005 3:29:00 PM, Blogger Reformed Jerk said...

ummmm...that's not the line from the movie.

 
At Tuesday, May 17, 2005 3:16:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

uhhh... yeah it is!!!!!

YES I AM SERIOUS EVILJELLY.
u wanna take this outside!??

anyways. i was referring to the line sandra said at the end of the movie with her and jack get hooked up in the subway train and then they start making out......

DUH!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home