free page hit counter

Sunday, April 17, 2005

Clean cuts, low prices

Perm, anyone?Yesterday was the first really hot, sunny day since October. After I had lunch with some neighbours from the Nuthouse at Asian Legends on Dundas St., Jon and I decided to walk down to Kensington Market for a coffee. The coffee, I regret to inform you, was unremarkable--Ideal Café might appeal to the hipster crowd with its fair-trade beans and rundown décore, but I'll take a tall, valencia latté from Starbucks over its weak brew any day. However, what was remarkable was this "salon" we encountered on the way to the market.

Ever since coming to Toronto, I've been getting my hair cut--scratch that, 'hacked' is a more accurate term--at the shop beside the pho place across the street from the bubble tea place. I go there not because the I especially like the coiffeurs, but because I like the $7.00 price tag. Usually I can get my hair cut, leave a $2 tip, and walk out feeling like I'm a big tipper. But this $4.00 hair cut has rocked my world. Now I can get my hair cut for a crisp fiver and still leave behind a 25% tip. A bargain this good can only be because of three things: it's a scam, it's illegal, or...it's Vietamese. The former two I can't tolerate, but the later I've come to know is just a plain, good deal (see Samurai Sushi House in Vancouver). So, I'm thinking the next time I get my hair cut, it's gonna be at the Clean Cuts on Spadina. Heck, at these prices maybe I'll get a perm and a dye job while I'm at it :-p


Your Favorite Jerk

1 Comments:

At Thursday, April 28, 2005 1:59:00 AM, Blogger Flami said...

I've had Pho and bubble tea both today and yesterday. Then again, I had bubble tea last Thursday, and am planning for more Pho next Thursday.

Makes me wonder what color you're going to dye your hair.. neon green? :P

 

Post a Comment

<< Home