free page hit counter

Tuesday, March 29, 2005

Sunny day

On most days I like to think that I am a man of reason, capable of controlling my emotions and thoughts, as any rational man of reason should. But sometimes, it's humbling to realize that I am no more in control of my mind than I am in control of the weather. In many ways, I am just a fleshy receptacle for chemicals that are trying to avoid reaching equilibrium (equilibrium = death; ask any biology teacher). I'm not saying my life can be driven by stoichiometry alone, but sometimes it helps explain things.

The sun rolled out domination style today and cranked up the heat in this city to a balmy 15C. This, in turn, caused the primitive cells in my brain to open their serotonin floodgates to release what little natural Prozac was left from winter, giving me a sense of inexplicable euphoria--not that I'm complaining. But just because my brain is producing this stuff instead of Pfizer, doesn't mean this potent chemical has no side effects. There is no free lunch, and after the dramatic high comes the inevitable crash. One minute I think the sun bathed streets of Toronto are the most beautiful things I've ever seen, the next I'm thinking about how it all reminds me of sunny weekend drives on No. 3 Rd in Richmond. I miss those...so terribly much. But that's beside the point; Richmond is really quite a dump (sorry d~ :-p), so why am I getting all nostalgic about it all of a sudden? It's not rational, nor is it logical, nor is it reasonable. See what I mean about the chemicals and my being a mere receptacle for them?


Your Favorite (Irrational) Jerk

P.S.
On a completely unrelated note, here are some pictures I took over the weekend on my trip to 1st Markham Place. Without going into too much detail, I will just say that the food was amazing and I had two bamboo-steam-trays of Xiao Long Bao in one sitting (approximately 16 pieces). Feel free to click around in there; I've added captions and explainations to most of them now--see especially the pics of my new phone :-) Enjoy.

2 Comments:

At Friday, April 01, 2005 4:31:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

There are three things that are very dangerous to diss about: 1)Driving habits 2) Chocolate preferences 3) My hometown.
d~

 
At Monday, April 04, 2005 12:56:00 PM, Blogger John said...

Your trip pictures are awesome. Shrekman was truly something to behold.

Your phone sucks.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home