free page hit counter

Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Halifax

I forgot to post pictures from my weekend conference in Halifax a couple of weekends ago, so here are a few to make up.

The biting cold in Halifax made every minute there seem like an hour--which in retrospect was both a terrible nuisance as well as a blessing since I only had about half a day to see the city. Judging from what little I saw of Halifax--in between ducking into desolate downtown buildings to thaw out my extremities--I think Halifax might be a very pretty city during the more hospitable seasons. I really would like to go back in the summer one one day to test this hypothesis. But in the winter, the following bit of conversation between me and a cab driver should give you a pretty good idea of what the place is like:

Me: I'd like to go to the harbour please.
Driver: You're not from around here, are you? This time of year, the harbour is cold! Ain't nobody down there. Where you from?
Me: I just came in from Toronto a couple of days ago. I think it should be okay. I don't plan to stay by the water too long.
Driver: Toronto! Ha! Trust me, buddy. This here ain't no wussy dry cold like you're used to back home. The winds from the water'll freeze you to the bone! On a day like today, it'll feel like -25 all the way through. Harbour, right? Here we go!

It turns out the driver was right. All the locals, save for a stoic Theodore the Tugboat docked by the boardwalk, had long abandoned the harbour and none of the stores were open. I ducked into a seafood place for lunch after about 20 minutes and took a cab to the airport right after that. Halifax, I barely met ya.


Your Favorite Jerk

1 Comments:

At Friday, February 02, 2007 1:33:00 AM, Blogger giz lau said...

eeeeeeeeeeeeeEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!! the tugboat is so cute! :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home