free page hit counter

Monday, January 16, 2006

Those who can't, teach

After a five week haitus from helping with the ESL class after service, I returned yesterday afternoon to a much more crowded classroom. It's such an encouragement to see new students and volunteers!

For the most part, I find that I'm as much a learner as I am a teacher when I interact with the students. You'd be surprised how difficult it is to explain certain phrases and concepts in Chinese. One especially keen student jots down phrases she hears on soap operas during the week and brings them to class to have them explained to her on Sundays. Some of these are quite shocking, like the phrase "I had Jason attacked!", while others, like "That's ironic" are impossibly difficult to explain in Chinese--Alanis Morisette had to write an entire song to explain that one to me in English, and even then she got it absolutely wrong.

Despite the occasional embarrassing moments when I realize I can't explain every English word or idiom, I encourage everyone with some free time after service to stop by and help out. It's such a rewarding experience to meet interesting people with a desire to learn a new language, while showing them God's love through both short scripture verses and by lending a helping hand. Plus you get to see Ju explain to her students that C-U-P spells Thermos...hehe just kidding Ju, you were great!!!!!


Your Favorite Jerk

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home